TOP TEN THINGS A GUY SHOULD KNOW BEFORE DATING AN AUTISM MOM.
- Be patient… My children and I are worth it.
- Be understanding… I may have to cancel at the last minute.
- Be thoughtful… If I did cancel, offer to come over for movie night and bring take out that is kid approved.
- Sometimes I have a short fuse… Remember what I deal with everyday.
- My children come first…. Deal with it.
- Somethings in my normal everyday life might be more than you can handle… if that’s the case say so from the beginning.
- Being a mom is a full-time job. Being the mom of a kid with special needs is like having two full-time jobs. Being a single mom is like having three.
- Never say ‘I love you’ unless you mean it. We don’t have time for games.
- Be kind… That shouldn’t need an explanation.
- My house is always a mess.. It’s my reality.
These were submitted to our Facebook page: Single Mothers who have Children with Autism by Jennifer Hodgdon. Feel free to tell us what you’d add to the list.
What you the readers added:
- Complete exhaustion will sometimes happen.
- Must always be alert and be able to run fast after child, love a headbutt as much as a hug from child, tolerate high-pitched screams, don’t make promises you don’t intend to keep and always realize that kids WILL always come first.
- Take time to educate yourself about Autism.
- We are not an easy package deal, but so worth it! Also, you might just learn about the truly important things in life that others take for granted. ♥
- Posted in: Uncategorized